Tuesday, December 7, 2010

What Not To Mix In A Biology Lab

Who's afraid of math?

Questo post partecipa alla XXXII Edizione del Carnevale della Matematica promosso dal blog MATEMATICAMENTE dell'amica Annarita Ruberto .

not easy math. It 'a matter that needs attention, order and application. Mathematics is rational, and perhaps it is because we impose a certain discipline, we tend to regard it with "reverentialis metus. A little 'as an old lady who searches us austere and severe round through the lens of his glasses and always shiny gold. I, too, in my career as a student, I had many difficulties with this matter. For years I did not feel led to nothing, however, slowly, something has changed. My first experience with the mathematics was sudden and traumatic. I do not apply, it is true. I was convinced that the first additions were proposed by the teacher of the riddles and I was very unlucky as a child, never, never, I could hit one. The teacher, meanwhile, could not routed, losing patience e. .. often flew spanking. It was only through the dedication of my mother that, gradually, I could understand that the calculation is always supported by reasoning. Moreover, the school continued to instill in me doubts and insecurities. I attended elementary school in a private school and, at the end of each school year, we had a final exam with an external commissioner. So, in late May, the teacher, who feared could fail the math test, we did play some problems telling them that he proposed to the external member of the committee to choose just between those we place in those days. Needless to say, in the examination, was always chosen one of the problems suggested by our teacher. All passed the examination but happily, with the passage of time, accumulate in our doubts and insecurities e. .. "Thank God we thought the teacher - we said between us students - who knows what would have happened if that inspector so gruff and surly, he chose his LIBRACCIO" In this way, the irrational fear of mathematics grew and often they made their way resignation and disengagement. I passed the medium thanks to the constant contribution of repetitions of a colleague of my father, but was in the school years that my attitude towards mathematics changed dramatically. He entered a classroom teacher from tiny stature. She had round glasses and a good golden perfectionist, occasionally polished. But it was far away from our problems. "I know that mathematics is not easy for everyone - he said - but I will always be at your disposal. Ask me to explain things a thousand other times again and I will be glad to help. In reality there was never any need many explanations for that teacher that we affectionately Costello called it, was an unparalleled clarity. A clarity that certainly was born, as well as its undoubted preparation, the peace of mind that always accompanied him. "Remember, kids, home to the exercises are not mandatory, are recommended only ..." But then, for some reason, none of us was always to run them, and the next day, if there were any doubts, they were always clear. The dialogue with the teacher did not fall, and every difficulty was never systematically addressed in class. I studied algebra and trigonometry with confidence and profit and the geometry and physics were a real passion for me. The insecurities and fears of childhood and early adolescence were overcome by all'apporto di un docente che, alla profonda conoscenza della materia, seppe unire sensibilità e metodo didattico. Un maestro che ricorderò sempre con gran riconoscenza e affetto.

Nell'immagine, all'inizio del testo,  il filososofo e matematico francese Renè Descartes (Cartesio) 1596 -1650

0 comments:

Post a Comment